Founded in New Orleans in 1926 by Eberhard Deutsch and Emmett Kerrigan, Deutsch Kerrigan is built on the foundation that we are problem-solvers, applying enduring principles of craft to serve clients effectively and efficiently. Eberhard Deutsch and Emmett Kerrigan were discerning advocates who demanded the utmost clarity and precision of the firm’s lawyers. In 1951, Eberhard Deutsch countered an opposing 1,450-page brief with 11 pages of tightly reasoned argument—and won a landmark catastrophic damages case before the United States Supreme Court.
The firm opened an office in Gulfport, Mississippi in 1997. The Gulfport office consists of distinguished attorneys, most of whom hold "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Ratings from Martindale-Hubbell and are recognized as "Super Lawyers" in Mid-South Super Lawyers Magazine. One of the most recent additions to the Mississippi office is a former Mississippi Circuit Court Judge who was also Mississippi's Public Safety Commissioner for 3.5 years.
Preserving the Past
On the corner of Magazine Street and Julia Street rests the main office of Deutsch Kerrigan in the former La Belle Creole Cigar & Tobacco Factory, built in 1882.
The La Belle Creole Cigar and Tobacco Factory was built by Industrialist Simon Hernsheim at the end of the Civil War reconstruction period, only five years after the last Federal troops left the city. It was the largest cigar manufacturer and one of the largest factory buildings in New Orleans at the time, employing 1187 people. In 1892, they produced 40 million cigars. The building is often seen in photographs and lithographs of the neighborhood made during that era.
The corner of Magazine and Julia also marks the starting point of the first traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras parade. On February 24, 1857, the Mystic Krewe of Comus began its first parade, heading up Julia Street toward St. Charles Avenue. With that parade, Mardi Gras was solidified as a New Orleans tradition.
The firm renovated this certified historic landmark a century later, calling on the knowledge of its own attorneys in finance, real estate, construction and design. The building sits on the corner of Magazine and Julia Streets in what is locally referred to as the city's Arts District, an area well known for its art, museums and historic buildings.