Diversity in the workplace and respect for persons having different backgrounds and varying perspectives are highly valued at Deutsch Kerrigan. Deutsch Kerrigan was the first firm in Louisiana to hire a woman attorney in 1937. Our firm is dedicated to the active recruitment, retention, development and promotion of diverse lawyers and staff members, reflecting the clients that we serve and the communities in which we live and work. Our success in delivering legal services, our contributions to the legal profession, our community involvement, and our commitment to a respectful and supportive work environment for all lawyers and staff members, are all directly related to the success of our programs to ensure diversity and inclusion.
At Deutsch Kerrigan, all persons—without regard to race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, family status, or cultural background—are welcomed and encouraged to participate at every level of firm functioning. In our delivery of professional services, and in the management of our own internal business functions, we develop and implement programs to provide opportunities for all within the firm, including fostering leadership skills in connection with client development, community service, and key internal responsibilities. Our programs are continuously monitored and improved to guide future success.
The firm resolves to achieve its mission by:
- Recruiting law students of the highest caliber, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, family status, or cultural background.
- Providing a discussion forum through a diversity committee where topics presenting unique challenges to lawyers and staff may be addressed.
- Facilitating the support and mentoring of diverse lawyers.
- Arranging social, professional development and networking opportunities for lawyers with diverse backgrounds.
- Ensuring that lawyers from a wide range of backgrounds are represented in leadership positions and other significant decision-making roles within the firm.
- Supporting programs in the community that promote diversity.
Read our spotlight in the November 2014 LSBA Bar Briefs