Education law involves a diverse range of issues from representing children with poor access to education to special education law to education reform. Lawyers in education law can work for local school districts where they deal with issues such as school governance, student records, collective bargaining and student discipline.
Deutsch Kerrigan attorneys offer a full range of legal services including, but not limited to:
Regular legislative updates (local, state, and federal)
- Prepare and review board policies and procedures, including student and personnel handbooks
- Charter school applications, operating agreements, training (including various models of governance), ethics and conflicts, open meetings, public vs. student records, and comprehensive board policies and best practices, handbooks, and manuals
- In-service training for administrators and staff
- Special education, including IDEA and Section 504, Americans With Disabilities Act, discipline, appeals and day-to-day counseling
- General employment and personnel matters, including workers compensation, unemployment compensation, Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII, Title IX, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans With Disabilities Act, Occupational Safety and Health Act, grievances, and arbitration
- Labor relations, including elections and negotiations
- Civil rights (student and staff) with employee/student speech, religious expression and discrimination
- Student discipline, including suspension, expulsion, hearings, appeals, electronic equipment, bullying, internet acceptable use, violence, and codes of conduct
- Tenure teacher dismissal with regards to due process and board hearings
- School construction as it relates to property acquisition and bid procedures; and
- Litigation concerning employment, construction, student civil rights and vendor disputes.